Washington FAMILY is seeking editorial interns for the fall 2018 semester!
We are looking for smart, self-motivated individuals with a passion for writing and local media.
- Pitch, edit and write multiple stories per week for both print and online
- Conduct story interviews in person and/or over the phone
- Find and write up local events for the print and online calendar
- Fact-check stories and monthly print resources/guides
- Research local trends/hot topics
- Create weekly social media posts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Update online guides
- Various administrative tasks (mailing, scanning, etc.) as needed
- Must be pursuing a degree in Journalism, English, or a related field
- Must be able to work at least 10-12 hours a week in our Rockville office
- Must have strong writing, researching and social media experience
- Must be familiar with/have an interest in the D.C.-area community (local people, places, things to do, etc.)
- Must be aware of current trends and local issues
- Interest in family-related topics such as education, parenting, pre-teen/teen issues and family entertainment
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word
- Understanding of Adobe InDesign/InCopy a plus
This is a non-paid/school credit internship.
To apply, please send your cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.